Filing for Divorce – Lawyers in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Filing for divorce will likely be one of the most difficult decisions you make in your life. During this tumultuous time, it’s important not to make any rash decisions out of fear or anger. The Albuquerque divorce lawyers of The Justice Legal Group can guide you through the process of filing for divorce in New Mexico so you are confident you are making sound choices throughout.
More than Signing Dissolution Papers
There’s more to filing for divorce than signing dissolution of marriage forms. Personal and business paperwork needs to be in order before you file for divorce. That includes deeds, mortgages, checking account records and more. In fact, preparing the right documentation is one of the most important “dos” on our dos and don’ts of divorce list.
Filing for Divorce in New Mexico
Divorce laws are complex and outcomes vary widely depending on the individual case. Some basic laws for filing for divorce in New Mexico include:
- There is no time limit to file. As long as you are a resident for at least six months you may file the day after you marry.
- If you are seeking military divorce, you must be stationed in New Mexico for at least six months.
- New Mexico is a no-fault divorce state, so you and your spouse may work out an amicable uncontested divorce.
- There are three grounds for fault-based, or contested, divorce: abandonment, adultery, and cruelty.
- If you cannot find your spouse, you may file for “default divorce.”
Let the divorce lawyers at The Justice Legal Group help you come to an agreement and settle terms of child custody, child support and visitation rights with your spouse. Our attorneys utilize the STAR method to build lasting relationships with our clients. If you need aggressive representation from experienced divorce lawyers, contact The Justice Legal Group today to set up a consultation.